Report: Onshore damage from offshore drilling can be devastating

Wherever the oil flows, the risk is great:

Environment North Carolina Research & Policy Center’s Offshore Drilling, Onshore Damage delves into a series of possible adverse impacts offshore drilling would have on land well beyond state’s beaches.

The report released Wednesday highlights the infrastructure needed on land to support offshore drilling. Construction of pipelines and potential ruptures of those lines, the possibility of spills at marine and port terminals, construction or expansion of oil refineries, and on-land disposal of offshore waste generated from drilling are “less known, but no less real,” according to the report.

The drilling is bad enough, but the transportation of crude oil has also been a major source of pollution and massive spills:

Friday News: A sign of progress

bluenccup-1[1]_0.jpg

CHRISTMAS PARADES AND CONFEDERATE FLAGS DON'T MIX: On Wednesday, Wake Forest became the second Wake County town in a week to cancel its Christmas parade over safety fears. Santa Claus was planning to come to town on Dec. 14, but Wake Forest officials canceled the parade for what is though to be the first time since it started more than 71 years ago. Town officials said they had received credible information that “extremist” groups on both sides of the issue of how — and whether — to preserve and interpret symbols of the Confederacy were making plans online to attend the parade. Crabtree said no one from either side made any threats, but the fear was that that dozens of people from the different groups would clash at the parade and that the situation could get out of hand. Because the town is a sponsor of the Christmas parade, Crabtree said, it can’t shut out a particular group from participating. In the future, he said, turning over the parade entirely to a private organization or a nonprofit community group would allow for closer scrutiny of who is allowed to join the parade.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article238067469.html

Three NC County Commissioners leave the GOP

Transylvania County, NC

Transylvania County Commissioners David Guice, Mike Hawkins and Page Lemel have left the Republican Party citing three areas where they believe the current Republican Party has failed to to uphold conservative values:

A legal challenge to Silent Sam deal is imminent

Joe Killian at NC Policy Watch is all over this:

“I’m going to do everything I can to fight it,” Doucette said in an interview with Policy Watch Wednesday. As a student, Doucette served as president of the UNC System Association of Student Governments, which made him a non-voting member of the UNC Board of Governors in 2008. He said he’s disgusted with the way the board has handled the Silent Sam issue. Last week’s settlement led him to get actively involved.

Doucette said he’s been talking with fellow attorneys and interested parties since the settlement was announced. He’s identified a number of irregularities in everything from how the issue was handled at the Board of Governors level to the finer legal points of the settlement itself. “If I can find people willing to get involved in filing a lawsuit, I’m going to do it,” Doucette said.

I've been following Greg's progress as he's dug into this issue, starting with the leaked e-mail where Kevin Stone was bragging to his fellow SCV members about his "backroom" deal with the UNC BOG. At the heart of the (legal) matter is the fact that the SCV lawsuit would not have passed muster if UNC had actually opposed it:

Thursday News: Rising tide of outrage

silentsamprotest.jpg

UNC STUDENT GROUPS PLAN PROTEST OF SILENT SAM DEAL: De’Ivyion Drew, a sophomore at UNC who’s been active in the Silent Sam protests and a member of the campus safety commission, said the money is “way worse” than the statue being put back up. “There’s a lack of perspective from a person of color, particularly black people, who would prefer to have the statue back up than to have the Sons of Confederates or any white supremacy group get $2.5 million dollars,” Drew said at the meeting. Student activist groups, including the UNC Black Congress and the Black Student Movement, have planned a campus protest for Thursday afternoon on the theme that “‘Silent Sam is not ‘Resolved.’” The protest is about “UNC negotiating with and investing in white supremacy,” the group said on its Facebook page.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article238038574.html

Silent Sam and the conspiracy to fund racism

silencedsam.jpg

It doesn't get much uglier than this tale:

When the UNC System announced it had settled a lawsuit that the public hadn’t yet heard about last week, Kevin Stone began celebrating his secret role in a “major strategic victory” for the pro-Confederate movement.

Stone, commander of the North Carolina Division Sons of Confederate Veterans Inc., emailed his group that day with information he wouldn’t tell the media or others about. He described many months of confidential negotiations and meetings, invisible to the public and only fully understood by SCV leadership, attorneys and unspecified members of the UNC Board of Governors.

There are so many aspects of this deal that stink I don't even know where to start. From my understanding, the full Board of Governors has not met since mid-November, so this $2.5 Million racist boondoggle occurred without a vote. And what gets under my skin even more is the fact the dude who was pushing for this is a state employee funded by taxpayers:

Pages

Subscribe to Front page feed