My political judgment is notoriously lame. I'm not connected to the power structure, I'm a minor-league donor, and my hot temper doesn't serve anyone well. So with that giant shaker of salt, here are my thoughts a week after the election.
1. NC is a divided land. We're more or less split down the middle, with perhaps a slight tilt toward Daddy State. By a slim margin, our voting citizens favor the iron fist of conservative control over the soft touch of compassion and fairness. Unfortunately, that margin give R's a sweep in the seven statewide races, including the execrable Ted Blood.
2. Neither party in NC inspires passion among candidates or voters. Republican yahoos rule the roost on the right, ready to bully everyone and anyone who moves. Democrats play nice and, more often than not, get smacked. Meh.
3. The US Congress races show us that Republicans can't dominate without gerrymandering. So they'll try again to stack the Congressional deck, knowing that cheating is the only way they can win.
4. The parties are sorting into older and younger clusters. Republican voters are dying out, while a Second Baby Boom is reshaping the Democratic side. We have about 20 years before the current crop of younger, pissed off voters reaches old codger status and starts turning conservative. Which means this is the time to go all in on a progressive, aggressive social and economic agenda. Legalize pot. Strengthen the safety net. Protect public health. Pursue practical climate change policies.
5. Mockery is in order. The idiocy DJ Trump has inspired on the right deserves ridicule and scorn. Empty suits like Ted Blood. The sick cabal taking over the NC Supreme Court. The rabid insanity of Mark Robinson. Their only agenda is personal power and it's our job to call them out again and again and again. Unfortunately, this isn't something the NCDP does very well. They need our help.
7. In a state of Dr. Oz's, we need more John Fettermans. NC needs candidates and voters who agree that even a stroke-damaged Democrat is infinitely preferable to a diabolical fascist. Bring back the Yellow Dogs. Call bullshit each and every time it's warranted. Stop. Being. So. Damn. Nice.
8. Democrats need to get their messaging shit together. The avalanche of NC emails coming my way over the past 90 days has been depressing, demoralizing, and just plain dumb. It's hard to imagine a more ridiculous communications agenda. "The sky is falling! Give money." "The end is near! Give money." "The quarter is ending! Give money." "The quarter is beginning! Give money." "You haven't already given! Give money." "You've already given! Give money." WTF are they even thinking?
More to come .